"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; He bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold
from those whose walk is blameless."
Psalm 84:11


Monday, November 8, 2010

Trusting Your Motherly Instincts


Last Wednesday night, Hutton came down with a cold. Congestion, runny nose, some irritability...no big deal right? You feel so sorry for them and, well, helpless actually because there's not much you can do but wait it out. On Friday, I noticed Hutton was acting a little uncharacteristic. Couldn't really pinpoint it at the time, but something wasn't right. When I spoke to the nurse at the doctor's office, I gave her his symptoms and she basically wrote me off, told me it was a cold, and that he didn't need to see the doctor. Later that evening, after the doctor's office had closed, he started running a low grade fever and was extremely fussy. Saturday morning, he woke up acting totally normal, but something was telling me he needed to see the doctor. I felt so stupid for even calling because in my mind I was feeling like that crazy new mother who calls the doctor at the sight of a booger! However, in spite of the nurse recommendations and my mental paranoia, I made an appointment. We went in later that morning and sure enough...DOUBLE EAR INFECTION!! He hadn't shown any "signs" of an ear infection, but that's what he had! I was relieved that we caught it, but frustrated thinking I almost didn't take him in because the nurse told me not to! Regardless, I will always go with my first instinct. God gave them to us for a reason!

Hutton is doing much better. Still very irritable but laughing and smiling again! We had some issues in the beginning with getting him to take his antibiotics. We tried to give it to him through a syringe and he would gag and throw up. So, if you ever have that problem, the best thing to do is mix it with about an ounce of breast milk and put it in a bottle! Works like a charm! Other than that, we're just trying to keep him hydrated, cleaning his nose often, and making sure he gets plenty of rest! Warm mist humidifier has been great as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment