"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; He bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold
from those whose walk is blameless."
Psalm 84:11


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Praying for Our Children

I started reading a book last night titled, The Power of a Praying Parent, by Stormie Omartian. The Lord used half of the first chapter to really speak to every inch of my soul. Words can't express how convicted I was to pray for our son. Craig and I literally stopped all that we were doing last night and just lifted our sweet baby boy to the Lord. Here is the quote that really struck a chord in me:

"The battle for our children's lives is waged on our knees. When we don't pray, it's like sitting on the sidelines watching our children in a war zone getting shot at from every angle. When we DO pray, we're in the battle alongside them, appropriating God's power on their behalf."

When I read that, tears were brought to my eyes and my stomach just felt sick. I came to the disheartening revelation that praying for my child had not been at the top of my priority list, leaving him to fight this battle on his own. Mundane things such as laundry, cooking dinner, doing the dishes, cleaning the house, running errands, working out, etc. had all been put in front of getting on my knees going the Lord on Hutton's behalf. After I was able to complete all my tasks, it was then that I would try to pray and at that point I was lucky to stay awake long enough to get 5 minutes of prayer in. That changes NOW. I realize that he is only a baby, but if covering him in prayer is not mine and Craig's priority, then whose priority is it? Last night was extremely sobering. I hope that this post will encourage you parents out there to lift your children up to the Lord daily! Every day we are facing a spiritual battle and they need US to fight with them and for them!!

Thank you Lord for opening my eyes to the power of prayer for my child!!

No comments:

Post a Comment